Education Advisors for Educational Opportunity Centers in Boston and Brockton (Start Date: September 1st)
Educational Opportunity Centers (EOC) are a grant program funded by the US Department of Education and designed to provide postsecondary education and career readiness services to low-income, disadvantaged and/or underrepresented adults typically 19 years of age or older. Our education advisors provide direct education and career readiness services to clients at MassEdCO’s eight centers located throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and report to the center's site director or project director.
- Identifies and recruits clients who fit the eligibility criteria for EOC participation.
- Provides individual postsecondary education planning.
- Assists clients with postsecondary admissions, financial literacy, financial aid and career advising.
- Facilitates other academic and support services for clients as needed.
- Completes all client files and/or electronic records required for reporting purposes.
- Develops and conducts postsecondary education access workshops for EOC stakeholders.
- Keeps current with regulations and trends related to postsecondary education access for diverse populations through professional development.
- Represents the EOC and MassEdCO to the greater community.
- Understands and demonstrates support for the mission, vision and goals of MassEdCO.
- Undertakes specific tasks assigned by the site director and /or project director to enhance the overall effective operation of EOC and MassEdCO.
- Bachelor degree in education, public administration, social work, or other relevant area.
- A minimum of one to three years experience with teaching and/or counseling.
- Experience with federal regulations pertaining to TRIO programs.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with needs of low income, disadvantaged and/or underrepresented adults.
- Knowledge of research on barriers to postsecondary education for this targeted population.
- Ability to work flexible hours and remotely when necessary.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual skills a plus.
- High level of energy and maturity.
- Excellent organizational skills; excellent customer service skills; excellent follow-through skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills.
- Sensitivity to issues facing low income, disadvantaged and/or underrepresented adults typically 19 years of age or older.
- Ability to operate in different cultural settings.
- Ability to connect with others and forge strong relationships.
- Experience working within a nonprofit or community-based organization a plus.
- Proficient at problem solving.
- Ability to work productively, drive engagement and demonstrate presence as a member of a virtual team.
- Ability to develop new skills and to give and receive feedback.
- Familiarity with computer software including database management to locate, review, and interpret information to guide management decisions;
- Proficient in MS Office programs; experience with Blumen Online a plus.
- Access to a reliable vehicle.
Interested candidates are encouraged to forward a cover letter, resume and three references by June 30, 2020 to:
Human Resources Manager
No phone calls please.